Saturday, January 11, 2014

A Life Cut Short ~ Nona Hurston


Hassie and Nona (age 9)


My maternal grandmother Nona Lee Turner was born on September 9, 1912 in LaGrange, Troup County, Georgia to Blake Turner (a sharecropper) and Hassie Williams (farm laborer).  She had eight siblings:  Conia (b.1891), John L. (b.1898), Rebecca (b.1899), Blake Jr. (1903), Elmer (b. 1905), Odessa (b. 1907), Alvena (b.1910) and Dorsey (b.1924).  The family settled in Hickory Flat, Alabama in 1900. 

The Turner family moved from Precinct 10 (now Roanoke), Randolph County, to Standing Rock, Chambers County, Alabama.  In the 1920 census, a 7 year old Nona is living with her parents and 5 siblings.  By the time 1930 census was taken, Nona, now 17 was living in Standing Rock, with her parents and brother and sister.  





Nona 
                                                                                                                                                     







Nona met and married Leroy Hurston , a resident of Standing Rock when she was 19 years old.  In 1933, the Hurstons welcomed a boy, they named Clarence.  Two years later in 1935, Rosalind was born.

Like so many African Americans living in the South in the late 30’s who went north to find better jobs, my grandparents migrated to Detroit, Michigan.  My grandfather went first, taking the bus all the way.  The entire Hurston family was living in Detroit by April 1, 1940.  They lived with Nona’s sister Rebecca and her husband on 963 Eliot Street (1940 census).    





Nona, Leroy, Rosalind, and Gloria taken at Belle Isle Park









Nona gave birth to their third child Gloria on December 7, 1941.  Gloria passed away on July 9, 1942.  She was laid to rest in Standing Rock, Alabama at Bethlehem Missionary Baptist Church Cemetery.



Nona at Belle Isle Park
       


                                                                                               


In early 1942, Nona was infected with pulmonary tuberculosis (TB).  Although exposed, the infection was latent (inactive) so she was not contagious.  On April 23, 1943 the infection became active and a five months pregnant Nona was admitted to the TB ward at Herman Kiefer Hospital (on Detroit's west side).


 
Nona on her balcony at Norman Keifer Hospital
Nona (left) and friend at Herman Keifer Hospital


  


                                                   

                                                    









Nona gave birth to Ella Mae in August who she named after Leroy's mother (Ella Mae Trammel).












In less than five months after giving birth to my mom and nine months after being admitted to Herman Kiefer, Nona died from pulmonary tuberculosis complicated by tuberculosis enteritis.  She left behind a grieving husband and three small children Clarence (11), Rosalind (8) and my mom Ella (4 ½ months).   All three children stayed with Rebecca who raised them while Leroy worked to support them.
My mom only knows her mother through pictures and stories told to her by family members.  Everyone tells her that her mother was really beautiful.  They also tell her how kind and quiet she was, everyone loved her.  My mom has no personal memories of her.  I don’t remember when she first told me about her or the words she used, but I do remember the pain in her voice and the sadness in her eyes.  I know that my mom would give anything to have just one memory of her mother.  The one story she tells over and over is the last thing her mother said to the family before she died.  She told them no matter what happens to take care of her baby.  

To realize that your mother’s last words were of you must give my mom some comfort but I know it doesn't lessen her sorrow.  Even though she was surrounded by so much love growing up, she still mourned her mother.  Her grief has been painful and lasting.  I believe the emptiness that my mom feels and continues to feel shaped her relationship with me.   She became the mother to me that she always wanted.   I think my grandma Nona would have been so proud of the woman my mother became. I know I am.  Rest in peace Grandma Nona.  I know you will be there to welcome my mother into the Kingdom.  Just like you welcomed Clarence, Rosalind and many others from our family.  We love you and will never forget you.

Nona was laid to rest in Standing Rock, Alabama along side her daughter Gloria at Bethlehem Missionary Baptist Church Cemetery.  


My mother (age 3), Nona, Rosalind and Clarence
Clockwise starting from the upper left

The pictures of my grandmother's grave, the cemetery and the "standing rock" were taken by a very kind find a grave volunteer, Kathy Brown.  I am so grateful to her for going out more than once to look for and photograph my grandmother's grave.  Thank you Kathy.  She also took pictures around town so I could see what Standing Rock, Alabama looked like.  I plan on taking a trip there soon.  



                                         
                                                       Nona and Gloria's final resting place ~Bethlehem Cemetery
                                                       
                                                                    Nona's headstone

This rock was left by Native Americans when they were removed from Alabama in the 1830s (part of the Trail of Tears).  They left a curse on anyone who tries to remove it.



         
                                   This song is dedicated to my grandmothers who are no longer with us and to my mom. I love you all so very much.



                                          "We're all ghosts.  We all carry, inside us, people who came before us". ~ Liam Callanan 
  



Sources:
Ancestry.com. 1920 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 
2010. Images reproduced by FamilySearch

Ancestry.com. 1930 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2002.

Original data: United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Fifteenth Census of the United States, 1930. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration. 1930 T626, 2,667 rolls.

Ancestry.com 1940 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry. com Operation, Inc., 2012. 

Original data: United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Sixteenth Census of the United States, 1940. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1940. T7=627, 4,643 rolls.

Daniels, Cory (2011, July 7).  The Spinners - Sadie. Retrieved January 1, 2014 from http://youtu.be/AXFY6pe-oXo  

Thank you Dianne Armstrong for sharing your words about the Kingdom.  

40 comments:

  1. I have a friend who's mother may have been in Herman Keifer TB ward several years after your grandmother. She later recovered after several years and was released. Her third child had been born soon before she went to the hospital. It is very sad that your mother has no memories of her own mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristin,
      Thank goodness she recovered. From what I read a lot of people did. I think it's sad too for my mom. Her mother would have adored her.

      Delete
  2. This story is bittersweet, beautiful because you have a great mom because of it and sad because what your mom had to feels not having a chance to know her mother . Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monique,
      Thank you. I was sad just thinking about what my mom went through and still goes through. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Bernita, this is a Beautiful tribute to your Grandmother Nona, and such a sweet gift to your mother. Your story is written so well I feel like I knew your grandmother all the way through her life. I love the family photos that's such a treasure to have, and your mom is so cute in her little baby picture. You have a beautiful family. Great job on your post. I enjoyed reading it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Xzanthia. I really appreciate the kind words. I am so thankful to have the photos that I do have.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful. I know they are all very proud of YOU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jerrie,
      That is so nice of you to say. Thank you. I am proud to be a product of them.

      Delete
  5. Thank you Bernita, for introducing your grandmother Nona to the world and it is blessing she left you all those photos of her to share.
    Stephani Juleeana Miller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephani, thank you. I do treasure those photos. They are all I have of her.

      Delete
  6. Bernita...touching story and really great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Bernita for sharing your mother's memories. There seem to have been a lot of love among your family and great memories. This was a heart throbbing story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanie, thank you. There was/is a lot of love. I use to hear I was spoiled but I just say "well loved".

      Delete
  8. After reading the story from my beautiful daughter,then the song by the spinners!!! I am crying tears of joy not sadness.what a great tribute to my mother.job well done "cupcake" there is nothing greater than the love between mother and daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom, you are really determined to make sure everyone knows you call me "cupcake" aren't you? LOL I'm so happy you like the post on your mother. I wish I could do more for you on her. You have been my rock and my staunchest supporter. It is because of you that I soar. Thank you for being you. Love you.

      Delete
  9. Hi Bernita
    This is so awesome since I never had the chance to ever know my Grandmother Nona. Thank you for sharing this beautiful story. I feel as if a void has been filled.
    Love you much. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine,
      My dear cousin, that you so much. I wish we all had to chance to know our Grandmother. I hear she was an amazing woman. Your words really touched me, I'm glad this answered any questions you may have had. I love you too.

      Delete
  10. Blown away by the beauty & depth of your Homage to Ms. Nona, Bernita. So beautiful. And your dear Mama. She might not have [physical] memories of Ms. Nona but what a POWERFUL protective, Guardian Angel she has guiding her -- guiding you. Think about what this post will mean to generations to come. Ms. Nona, her Ella Mae and all those connected have a permanent, family-fortifying TIMESTAMP. I now know what it's like to be without a Mama [physically] but take comfort -- Ms. Nona is right here among us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckie,
      Thank you. You words mean a lot to me and my mother. I hope those feelings come across in my writings, especially for my mom. I do get it and understand it much better now. Thank you for your guidance and encouragement.

      Delete
  11. This was such a beautiful tribute to your grandmother Nona....Oh how I wish I could know her stories. One thing for sure is she loved your mother, of which love never ends. That love extends onto the next generations and it surrounds you. Just Wonderful...Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvette, thank you so much. I wish I had known her too. You're right about the love ti does transcend. Thank you for reading our story.

      Delete
  12. Love the labor of love you have put into telling the story of your Grandmother! She is beautiful and now for the connection, we have a huge branch of Trammel/Barrow cousins from Standing Rock, Five Points, and Cussed just outside of LaFayette in Chambers County. I think we are onto something! Thank you for sharing Miss Nona's journey

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dante, thank you reading about my grandmother Nona. I think we may have something on the Trammel side! Looking forward to discovering that connection.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You in turn can do the same for your Mother. Spoil Her with all the Love she gave you. Everybody in Life Longs for their Mother the same no matter what the situation. Granny Nona was a Beaut! and she set the precedence for the Women in your Family. I imagine her sadness too leaving her baby. I wish I was there to hug her, and your Mom for those times in Life when You just want your own Mother's touch. Song was Beautiful. Alabama know it had some names! Hickory Flat. Glad for the photos it brought it HOME! Thanks for SHaring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, I agree and I do spoil my mother with love and technology. :) We are very close (which will soon be a post) and I really do appreciate her as I know she appreciates me. Nona was beautiful and from what I heard a kind soul too. How kind of you to say you would hug them both. I can't imagine how Nona felt knowing she was leaving her children. Thank you for stopping by and reading her story. I really do appreciate you.

      Delete
  15. What a beautiful tribute to your grandmother! She is very beautiful indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this, and the pictures are beautiful.....ever traced back to Zora's Hurstons.....that would be awesome:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ressie, thank you for the kind words. I do appreciate them. Funny you should mention Zora, family stories say we are cousins. I'm still researching it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh What a touching story. Wonderful how even back then how important it was to keep a family member legacy alive. Although your mama never really knew her mama she got to know and love her through her family and pass you the torch to carry on the legacy.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, thank you so much for stopping by. I agree that it is important to keep your family legacy alive. I'm learning a lot from my mother about her family and passing it on.

      Delete
  19. This is awesome! I had no idea of Mama Ella's story. So sad, but how wonderful it is for you to have done the research and put together this tribute to your family and your mother. Truly you are talented and your work is priceless! I love this!! Blessings to your entire family! (choking back tears)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving a comment. Your words will mean a lot to my mother. Thank you again for your kind words.

      Delete
  20. Hey Bernita, very well done, I hope to do something like that one day.
    Aunt Dian Johnson your Mother Sis :-)
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Dian,
    Thank you for stopping by to read about my grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bernita,

    What a lovely tribute to the beautiful women, your ancestors. You are indeed fortunate to have these pictures! What a gift.
    Thank you for sharing!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie,
      Thank you so much for stopping by and reading my post. I really appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  23. Replies
    1. Thank you Mary. Thank you for stopping by and reading her story.

      Delete