True's post got me thinking about the things I collected in my youth. This is a little overdue but here is my response to the question.
In addition to the books I collected, I also have a binder filled with cartoons, newspaper clippings, photos from magazines and ticket stubs/programs of plays I saw as a kid.
I have to thank my mother Ella Allen for instilling in me a love of the theater. She took me to so many plays when I was a kid and she taught me that when it comes to perfume less is definitely more. :)
- Books: I read a lot as a child. You name it, I have probably read it. From "Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret, Gone with the Wind (which took me 3 days), Marathon Man, The Stepford Wives, Up the Down Staircase, Freaky Friday, All the President's Men, Go Ask Alice, Nancy Drew The Other Side of Midnight to Resurrection by Tolstoy (just to name a few). One family that I babysat for always paid me in books.
- Cartoons: Bloom County, Doonsbury, Garfield, Pot Shot, Tank McNamara, The Lockhorns and Wee Pals
- Concerts: The Jackson Five (Bill Withers opened), Huey Lewis and the News (Adrenaline (sp?) local band opened), The Police (Joan Jett and The Blackhearts opened)
- Letters: Every letter that was written to me
- Performances: Bob Fosse's Dancin', Alvin Ailey's American Dance Theater
- Photos (cut our from magazines): A few childhood crushes
- Plays: Man of La Mancha, The Wiz, They're Playing Our Song, Your Arms Too Short To Box With God (I still have these albums)
Few things from my collection book: