Monday, November 4, 2013

In Unity There Is Strength!

My plan was to write about my father's mother when the other women in my family stepped forward and suggested that I write about all of them.  So today is a special shout out to them.  I lift my hands in praise and thanks to the wonderful women in my life.  I admire their passion, strength, faith and devotion to our family.  I am proud to say I come from and have been influenced by these phenomenal women.


              Rebecca "Nanny" Montgomery (grandmother)
            
            Hassie Turner (great-grandmother)



    
    Nona Hurston (grandmother) ]]





          
         Rosalind McGee (aunt)


                       
                         Donnie Tate (grandmother in love)     

                     
                  Ella Allen (mom)
                     

                           
                                    Edna Deer (grandmother)

               




          
    grandma Rebecca, mom, dad, grandma Edna
                                         
     
                           Rose "Mama Rose" Franklin (grandmother in love)

























"It's the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally."
-Maya Angelou, Phenomenal Woman: Four Poems Celebrating Women

4 comments:

  1. Very nice tribute to all the women in your life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, ma'am! Nothing but love and support from all of them always.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful tribute to the women who have shaped you, Bernita!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M. Dawn,
      Thank you. I came from a household built on love and chores.

      Delete